Simple Energy Management with Networked Lighting Controls
- Ease of Installation: For starters, they tend to be simple to install, which means you’ll save money on labor costs and can start making the most of your NLCs right away.
- Flexibility:NLCs are also easily adaptable -you can opt for wired, wireless, or hybrid systems depending on your existing energy set-up.
- Maintenance: When your entire system is connected, it’s easier to keep track of how everything is functioning and performing. If one aspect of your network needs maintenance or repair, you’ll get a daily report that details what part needs attention and why.
|Front of the Meter
|Behind the Meter
|Solar PV installed on-site and tied in directly to the facility
|Utility scale energy storage
|Transmission and Distribution
Here are some of the benefits of behind-the-meter solar power:
- Sustainability: Energy sustainability is one trend that isn’t going anywhere soon - unlike our finite amount of fossil fuels. Behind-the-meter energy management allows you to generate your own power from renewable energy sources like wind, water, and the sun and store excess energy for later use.
- Save Money: Renewable energy often requires an initial investment, but you’ll definitely reap the rewards of savings down the line. If you can fulfill all of your own energy needs using sustainable means like PV panels, your energy costs will plummet after 6-9 years. You can also save money on demand charges by reducing your energy consumption during times when demand is high and using your stored power instead.
- Independence: BTM energy production and storage is becoming more important as extreme weather and natural disasters like California’s forest fires have shut off power to thousands of residents and businesses. With BTM generation, you don’t have to rely on outside sources for your power, and you can store excess energy to use during emergencies. So even if there’s a blackout or power outage, you can still operate normally.
When considering these comprehensive energy management trends it is important to also evaluate your commercial energy procurement strategies. Check out our 101 guide on energy procurement strategies for the modern facility.